The VGL is offering a golden opportunity for Golden Retriever owners: new DNA tests as well as a genetic health panel are now available for the Golden Retriever breed and crosses.
The Golden Retriever Health Panel includes the following new, breed-specific tests:
- Congenital Ichthyosis
- A skin condition in which the outer layer of the skin does not form properly and results in scaling.
- Congenital Myasthenic Syndrome (CMS)
- A group of inherited neuromuscular disorders that are characterized by progressive muscle weakening that worsens with exercise.
- Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis (NCL)
- A progressive neurological disorder that manifests as behavioral changes coupled with a loss of coordination and blindness.
- Sensory Ataxic Neuropathy (SAN)
- A progressive neurological disorder characterized by involuntary muscle movements and abnormal posture resulting from degeneration of the nerves controlling muscle movement.
The panel also includes tests for Degenerative Myelopathy (DM), Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA1 and PRA2), and Progressive Rod-Cone Degeneration (PRA-prcd).
Tests can be ordered individually or bundled together in the health panel.
For more information and to order tests, please see: